Nearly everyone has a cellphone these days. Parents are even buying them for their kids. They’re everywhere!
With this growing technology comes responsibility and common courtesy. Here is a list of mores for cellphone use….
- Never answer your phone in a restaurant while sitting at the table. If you must answer it, politely explain that you have to take the call and excuse yourself from the table.
- Please end your conversation before checking out at the grocery store, or any store for that matter. You may be a great multi tasker but it is just plain rude to be speaking to someone other than the cashier. And for pete’s sake don’t answer it while checking out either!
- Keep your voice down! Nobody wants to hear about the fight you had with your mother, or how your boss is completely unreasonable. Show some respect to others…and yourself!
- If you’re out in public, please put your phone on vibrate or shut it off. Especially if you’re in a quiet place like the library, the movies, church, etc. Ringing phones are extremely annoying.
- Teach your children not to interrupt you while you are on the phone. Nothing is more irritating than having to repeat yourself because the other person is too busy answering their kids’ questions instead of paying attention to you.
- Don’t answer the phone if you’re too busy to completely focus on the call. Just like number 5, nobody wants to repeat themselves because you are focused on something else.
The gist of all of these really have to do with paying attention to what is important. There are always emergencies/circumstances that would render these null and void. For the other 95% of the time, please be respectful.
Do you have any cellphone etiquette suggestions? I’d love to hear them!